Amarinth’s innovative API 610 VS4 vertical sulphur pumps designed for the oil and gas industry
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 14th April 2019
Amarinth, a leading company specialising in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, chemical, industrial and power markets, has invested over £1M designing a reliable low-maintenance range of API 610 VS4 vertical sulphur pumps for the oil and gas industry.
Elemental (pure) sulphur is a valuable by-product recovered during the refinement of oil and gas. Sulphur is extracted and transported around the processing plant in liquid form at a temperature of some 140C. However, sulphur only remains in its liquid state and therefore suitable for pumping within a narrow temperature band of approximately ±20C. At lower temperatures the liquid will start to revert to a solid and at higher temperatures its viscosity increases due to the formation of polymers, all of which creates unique challenges for the pumps.
Amarinth has drawn on its extensive expertise in designing bespoke pumping solutions for the oil and gas industry and applied this knowledge to produce an API 610 VS4 vertical pump that meets the requirements for pumping molten sulphur reliably. The company first undertook a detailed study of existing sulphur pumps (usually simple adaptions of existing designs) and how they were used and maintained to determine where issues occurred. Users reported high incidents of bearing failures, shaft problems and having to run significantly shorter maintenance periods to try and minimize failures, all of which resulted in increased downtime for plants.
To deliver a robust, reliable and easily maintainable pump, Amarinth then embarked on an extensive design and test study, resulting in a pump which comprises:
• A new arrangement for the shaft bearings and lubrication film which reduces the previous bearing and shaft issues operators had reported.
• Redesigned jacket to maintain the temperature of the molten sulphur and hence its viscosity, reducing the solidification of the sulphur around the pump particularly when it’s lifted for maintenance.
• New design of impeller optimised for best efficiency for molten sulphur.
• Amarinth’s proven modular column design that enables the rapid production of bespoke pump lengths and greatly simplifies maintenance and removal of the pump.
• Improved access so that regular maintenance can be completed quickly and with less disruption to the associated pipework and plant.
Following Amarinth’s investment of over £1M and years of research and design, oil and gas operators can finally acquire a cost-effective, efficient and reliable API 610 VS4 vertical sulphur pump designed specifically for transporting molten sulphur from point of extraction to ongoing processing.
Oliver Brigginshaw, Managing Director of Amarinth, commented: “We are delighted to offer these sulphur pumps, designed to meet the exacting needs of the oil and gas industry, in our extensive range of API 610 pumps. These sulphur pumps are the culmination of many years research and development by our team of dedicated engineers and we have pioneered a number of new technologies in their design which we look forward to applying in future applications.”
Available for download in PDF format, simply click the button below to download.Download File
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Amarinth is a carbon net zero organisation delivering world-leading expertise in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment for critical applications in many of the most arduous and hostile environments around the globe.
Founded in 2002, Amarinth has harnessed the skills, creativity and passion of people who have worked in the pump industry for decades, delivering bespoke API and ISO pumps primarily to the offshore and onshore oil & gas industries; nuclear and renewable energy generation; defence; desalination; process and industrial markets.
The company’s innovative approach, business agility and use of sophisticated computer applications enables it to deliver robust, reliable and sustainable pumping solutions on the shortest lead times in the industry.
• Process pumps – API 610, API 685, ISO 5199 horizontal, vertical and in-line bespoke process pumps, including ones that are hydraulically and dimensionally interchangeable with the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps.
• Skid packages and modules – Supplied with a variety of drives for applications including de-sanding, mixing, filtration and chemical injection and tailored for the oil & gas, water treatment and power generation industries.
• Condensate recovery – Cutting-edge design providing low NPSH up to 98°C with variable speed drives to reduce cycle time and lower operating costs, available in stainless steel, galvanised or copper tanks for light or heavy industrial uses.
• Seal support – Integrated pressurised and vented seal support systems designed and delivered to API 682 and ISO 5199 standards and specific site specifications and requirements, working closely with AES, Eagle Burgmann, John Crane and Protect System.
• Spare parts – Critical spares for all Amarinth pumps and related components can be dispatched the same day, reducing potential downtime, and in addition components for the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps can be re-engineered often improving the performance of existing assets.
• Services – A full range of pump related services, delivered from UK head office or on-site globally, onshore or off-shore, including full commissioning and start-up support; also strip, report and refurbishment of any pump regardless of manufacturer.
Amarinth operates globally from its base in Rendlesham Suffolk, United Kingdom and offices in the Middle East and Malaysia with a global customer base, including BP, Shell, ADNOC, NOV, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger, COSCO, EDF, GlaxoSmithKline, Saudi Aramco, Pfizer, Diageo, Kuwait Oil Company, AMEC, Fluor, LUKOIL, Halliburton, and Babcock.
For further information or photos contact
Bentwaters Park, Rendlesham
Woodbridge IP12 2TW
Tel: +44 (0)1394 462131
Mobile: +44 (0)7703 681821
B6 Solutions Limited
29 Swan Drive
The Wharf, Aldermaston
Reading RG7 4UZ
Tel: +44 (0)118 971 3271
Mobile: +44 (0)7880 748380