Umm Lulu project Offshore supplied with titanium alloy pumps for sodium hypochlorite dosing
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 13 January 2016
Amarinth forge ahead using leading-edge technologies to manufacture titanium pumps for the ADMA-OPCO Umm Lulu Development Project, Abu Dhabi
Amarinth, a leading company specialising in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, chemical, industrial and renewable energy markets, has delivered four sodium hypochlorite dosing pumps manufactured in titanium alloy to ADMA-OPCO for use on the Umm Lulu Development Project, offshore of Abu Dhabi.
The Umm Lulu field is located in the Arabian Gulf 30km north-west of Abu Dhabi, UAE. It is being developed as part of a strategic initiative to pump 1.75 million barrels of crude a day by 2017, increasing Abu Dhabi's total crude oil production to 3.5 million barrels a day.
Amarinth were approached by Cumberland to tender for the pumps on a tight 24 week delivery for the Umm Lulu platform. Sodium hypochlorite is highly corrosive and so traditional super-duplex materials cannot be used. Cumberland had considered using plastic components on the pumps but ruled that out due to known reliability issues and failure rates and so Cumberland was seeking a solution to this challenging problem.
Drawing on its wealth of experience of casting in exotic materials, Amarinth was the only pump manufacturer approached by Cumberland that would tender for this challenging project. To minimise corrosion from the sodium hypochlorite, Amarinth proposed using titanium alloy for all wetted parts, including the casing, impeller and shaft. ADMA-OPCO also recognised Amarinth’s capabilities for successfully delivering against its previous high-specification requirements, all of which helped Amarinth to secure the contract.
Amarinth was able to source the titanium required through its supply chain and then worked closely with its foundry in Sheffield, United Kingdom, casting the components. Titanium is difficult to cast and the process has to be very carefully controlled using the latest technologies, pushing the limitations of current manufacturing methods. Having overcome all of the challenges, the four titanium pumps have now been successfully manufactured and assembled and will be commissioned on the offshore Umm Lulu platform during the first half of 2016.
Oliver Brigginshaw, Managing Director of Amarinth, added: “We are delighted to have met these demanding requirements and our engineering team surpassed all expectations in delivering the titanium pumps against such tight deadlines, further underlining our capabilities in designing and manufacturing high-specification pumps for the most arduous of duties. The confidence shown in Amarinth by Cumberland and ADMO-OPCO has once again enabled us to demonstrate our commitment to the Middle East oil and gas market.”
Available for download in PDF format, simply click the button below to download.Download File
View Notes To Editors
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Founded in 2002, Amarinth has harnessed the skills, creativity and passion of people who have worked in the pump industry for many years. Amarinth delivers worldleading expertise in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to ISO, ANSI & API standards, primarily for the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, chemical, industrial and power markets. The company’s portfolio includes:
• Pumps: Horizontal and vertical API 610 pumps, chemical and industrial pumps, many of which are interchangeable with the Girdlestone pump ranges, eliminating the need for expensive modifications when replacements are required.
• Pressure Vessels: Protect System Plan 52 and 53A and 53B sealant systems with inbuilt condition monitoring for pumps and mixers that are suitable for Safe area up to Zone 1.
• Spares & Service: High quality, fast lead-time re-engineered spare parts to improve performance and extend pump life, including many which are directly interchangeable with the Girdlestone pump ranges.
• Packages & Modules: Condensate Recovery Units manufactured for Spirax Sarco incorporating the innovative Ci-Nergy intelligent variable speed control system, plus bespoke packages & skids built to order.
• Business Systems: state-of-the-art e-commerce technologies that deliver 24/7 support enabling customers to select pumps and place orders on-line and then track every stage of manufacture through to delivery, any time, anywhere in the world.
The company operates globally from its base in Rendlesham Suffolk, United Kingdom and has a customer base of world-leading companies, including BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer, Spirax Sarco, Diageo, AMEC, Fluor and Halliburton. For further information, electronic copy or photos contact:
Business Development Director Amarinth Limited
Woodbridge IP12 2TW
Tel: +44 (0)1394 462131
Mobile: +44 (0)7703 681821
B6 Solutions Limited
29 Swan Drive
The Wharf, Aldermaston
Reading RG7 4UZ
Tel: +44 (0)118 971 3790
Mobile: +44 (0)7880 748380