Amarinth supplies Wood Group pumps for Amerada Hess to achieve OSPAR compliance
IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 12 th December 2005
Amarinth selected to design OSPAR compliant pumping solution for the Amerada Hess operated Triton FPSO
Amarinth, a UK company specialising in the design, application and manufacture of pumps for the chemical, gas and oil industries has won a significant order to supply 10 bespoke pumping units to be installed on the Amerada Hess Corporation operated Triton Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessel located in the North Sea.
The pumps are a critical part of the filtration system being installed by Aberdeen based Wood Group Engineering (North Sea) Limited, a large Engineering, Procurement & Construction firm that provides a range of services to Amerada Hess. This system will filter and treat produced water prior to discharge so that it meets the pending OSPAR regulatory changes due in 2006 that target reductions in the amount of oil released into open water in the North Sea.
Wood Group was evaluating various pumping solutions for the Triton project when they engaged specialist pump supplier Kinder-Janes Engineers Limited. After careful consideration of the technical and commercial requirements, Kinder-Janes submitted an offer for Amarinth pumps able to satisfy the challenging criteria.
The project demands high specification pumps that must be tailored to fit the tight space constraints of the Triton vessel and limited NPSH available. With a risk and reward prime contact in place, Wood Group required a tight 26-week delivery schedule on the pumps. Drawing on their previous experience, Amarinth were able to commit to designing and delivering a pumping solution to this deadline.
The final design is a hybrid that is based on Amarinth’s proven ‘C’ series heavy duty ISO 5199 chemical pumps, but which incorporates up-rated API 610 bearing brackets. To withstand extended operation on produced water service, pump wetted parts will be manufactured in Super Duplex high chromium stainless steel. These are materials that were pioneered in the highly corrosive offshore environment.
The pumps will be fitted with sophisticated ‘upstream pumping’ (USP) mechanical seals manufactured by John Crane that utilise seawater to provide a supply of cool, clean buffer fluid to the seal faces to ensure reliable operation on this abrasive media.
For such a critical application the pumps will undergo comprehensive non-destructive testing including radiography plus witnessed inspection and performance testing. Complete material traceability and documentation will be delivered with the pumps.
Amarinth has built a strong reputation for providing reliable pumping solutions for OSPAR compliance projects for North Sea operators such as Shell and Britannia. They have also received a number of commendations, including one from Pall Corporation who provided the filtration systems for the Shell project.
On securing the contract, Oliver Brigginshaw, Managing Director of Amarinth, commented: "We are delighted to have won such a prestigious order against very tough competition. I believe our straight forward approach, coupled with listening to exactly what our customer wanted and our ability to absorb their design changes without impacting lead times, were the deciding factors in us winning this significant order."
- END -
Available for download in PDF format, simply click the button below to download.Download File
View Notes To Editors
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Amarinth is a carbon net zero organisation delivering world-leading expertise in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment for critical applications in many of the most arduous and hostile environments around the globe.
Founded in 2002, Amarinth has harnessed the skills, creativity and passion of people who have worked in the pump industry for decades, delivering bespoke API and ISO pumps primarily to the offshore and onshore oil & gas industries; nuclear and renewable energy generation; defence; desalination; process and industrial markets.
The company’s innovative approach, business agility and use of sophisticated computer applications enables it to deliver robust, reliable and sustainable pumping solutions on the shortest lead times in the industry.
• Process pumps – API 610, API 685, ISO 5199 horizontal, vertical and in-line bespoke process pumps, including ones that are hydraulically and dimensionally interchangeable with the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps.
• Skid packages and modules – Supplied with a variety of drives for applications including de-sanding, mixing, filtration and chemical injection and tailored for the oil & gas, water treatment and power generation industries.
• Condensate recovery – Cutting-edge design providing low NPSH up to 98°C with variable speed drives to reduce cycle time and lower operating costs, available in stainless steel, galvanised or copper tanks for light or heavy industrial uses.
• Seal support – Integrated pressurised and vented seal support systems designed and delivered to API 682 and ISO 5199 standards and specific site specifications and requirements, working closely with AES, Eagle Burgmann, John Crane and Protect System.
• Spare parts – Critical spares for all Amarinth pumps and related components can be dispatched the same day, reducing potential downtime, and in addition components for the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps can be re-engineered often improving the performance of existing assets.
• Services – A full range of pump related services, delivered from UK head office or on-site globally, onshore or off-shore, including full commissioning and start-up support; also strip, report and refurbishment of any pump regardless of manufacturer.
Amarinth operates globally from its base in Rendlesham Suffolk, United Kingdom and offices in the Middle East and Malaysia with a global customer base, including BP, Shell, ADNOC, NOV, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger, COSCO, EDF, GlaxoSmithKline, Saudi Aramco, Pfizer, Diageo, Kuwait Oil Company, AMEC, Fluor, LUKOIL, Halliburton, and Babcock.
For further information or photos contact
Bentwaters Park, Rendlesham
Woodbridge IP12 2TW
Tel: +44 (0)1394 462131
Mobile: +44 (0)7703 681821
B6 Solutions Limited
29 Swan Drive
The Wharf, Aldermaston
Reading RG7 4UZ
Tel: +44 (0)118 971 3271
Mobile: +44 (0)7880 748380