Amarinth supplies interchangeable replacement vertical pump to EDF for Sizewell B Power Station
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 27th April 2020
Amarinth, a leading company specialising in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, LNG, chemical, industrial, power and desalination markets has supplied EDF with a fully interchangeable vertical pump to replace an obsolete Goodwin submersible pump at the Sizewell B Power Station.
A submersible wastewater management pump supplied by Goodwin in an ATEX Zone 1 tank was commissioned at the Sizewell B site some 25 years ago and so was coming to the end of its natural working life. However, these pumps are now obsolete, so a direct replacement was no longer available, meaning engineers had to find a new solution to maintain operations.
EDF required a pump that would perform the same duty as the Goodwin pump with minimal modification to pipework and fittings and that could be supplied on a 20-week deadline to fit around a planned shutdown window.
Replacement of obsolete equipment in power stations to maintain operations has become a major issue for the power generation companies and so Roll-Royce has created the Proactive Obsolescence Management System (POMS) to quickly identify equipment suppliers that can provide replacement solutions for the obsolete equipment.
Amarinth is both registered in POMS and had previously undertaken a site survey of the existing pumps at Sizewell, giving EDF confidence that the company fully understood the challenges of providing a replacement pump.
Amarinth proposed a bespoke vertical sump pump as the most cost-effective solution to replace the Goodwin submersible pump. The company leveraged its unique modular design suite for vertical pumps which it has configured to handle over 100,000 pump variants. All assemblies and sub-assemblies have been checked against mating parts for clashes using computer-aided design tools ensuring that any variant assembled from the modules fits together perfectly. Amarinth quickly produced a new ATEX certified 1.3m vertical sump pump design, manufactured in stainless steel, that was dimensionally and hydraulically interchangeable with the Goodwin unit.
The new ATEX compliant vertical pump was designed, manufactured, tested and supplied to site all within the necessary 20 weeks enabling EDF to fit the new pump during the scheduled shutdown period. This pump will now deliver another 25-year working life at Sizewell B with the support and supply of spare and replacement parts directly from Amarinth.
Oliver Brigginshaw, Managing Director of Amarinth, commented: “Having successfully supplied pumps to a number of power stations to replace obsolete ones we were delighted to provide this dimensionally and hydraulically interchangeable vertical pump to EDF at Sizewell B to replace the Goodwin submersible unit. This once again demonstrates Amarinth’s ability to provide a long-term and cost-effective solution to power generation companies as existing and often obsolete equipment reaches its natural end-of-life.”
View Notes To Editors
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Founded in 2002, Amarinth has harnessed the skills, creativity and passion of people who have worked in the pump industry for many years. Amarinth delivers worldleading expertise in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to ISO, ANSI & API standards, primarily for the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, chemical, industrial and power markets. The company’s portfolio includes:
• Pumps: Horizontal and vertical API 610 pumps, chemical and industrial pumps, many of which are interchangeable with the Girdlestone pump ranges, eliminating the need for expensive modifications when replacements are required.
• Pressure Vessels: Protect System Plan 52 and 53A and 53B sealant systems with inbuilt condition monitoring for pumps and mixers that are suitable for Safe area up to Zone 1.
• Spares & Service: High quality, fast lead-time re-engineered spare parts to improve performance and extend pump life, including many which are directly interchangeable with the Girdlestone pump ranges.
• Packages & Modules: Condensate Recovery Units manufactured for Spirax Sarco incorporating the innovative Ci-Nergy intelligent variable speed control system, plus bespoke packages & skids built to order.
• Business Systems: state-of-the-art e-commerce technologies that deliver 24/7 support enabling customers to select pumps and place orders on-line and then track every stage of manufacture through to delivery, any time, anywhere in the world.
The company operates globally from its base in Rendlesham Suffolk, United Kingdom and has a customer base of world-leading companies, including BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer, Spirax Sarco, Diageo, AMEC, Fluor and Halliburton. For further information, electronic copy or photos contact:
Business Development Director Amarinth Limited
Woodbridge IP12 2TW
Tel: +44 (0)1394 462131
Mobile: +44 (0)7703 681821
B6 Solutions Limited
29 Swan Drive
The Wharf, Aldermaston
Reading RG7 4UZ
Tel: +44 (0)118 971 3790
Mobile: +44 (0)7880 748380