Amarinth supplies fully interchangeable replacement pumps to Sellafield nuclear fuel reprocessing facility
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 18 June 2018
Amarinth, a leading company specialising in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, chemical, industrial and power markets, has supplied the Sellafield nuclear fuel reprocessing facility with fully interchangeable pumps to replace the 1990s Girdlestone units.
Pumps supplied by Girdlestone were commissioned at the Sellafield site some 25 years ago and so are coming to the end of their natural working life, however direct replacement units are no longer available. For one of the pumps, used to transfer nitric acid in a controlled area of the process control facility, the engineers at Sellafield decided that to maintain operations a replacement was required. However, they needed a solution that did not require any modification to pipework and fittings, and all within 20 weeks.
For over a decade, Amarinth has been providing direct replacement pumps for the now obsolete Girdlestone range along with a range of spares, re-engineered and replacement parts. Sellafield therefore turned to Amarinth for a dimensionally and hydraulically interchangeable pump to replace their existing Girdlestone 912 self-priming pump.
Amarinth was able to provide a bespoke version of one of its existing designs in the timescales required. Although the selected pump was already dimensionally interchangeable, Amarinth redesigned the pump casing and impeller to ensure an exact match to the existing pumps hydraulic performance. The new fully interchangeable pump was designed, manufactured, tested and supplied all within the necessary 20 weeks.
This new interchangeable pump provided by Amarinth will deliver another 25-year working life for Sellafield along with support and supply of spare and replacement parts directly from Amarinth.
Oliver Brigginshaw, Managing Director of Amarinth, commented: “We have been providing support and replacement pumps for the now obsolete Girdlestone units for many industrial uses around the world since Amarinth was founded. We are delighted to be extending that support into the nuclear and power industry and look forward to working with Sellafield and other sites to provide a long-term and cost effective solution as their existing equipment reaches its natural end-of-life.”
Available for download in PDF format, simply click the button below to download.Download File
View Notes To Editors
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Amarinth is a carbon net zero organisation delivering world-leading expertise in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment for critical applications in many of the most arduous and hostile environments around the globe.
Founded in 2002, Amarinth has harnessed the skills, creativity and passion of people who have worked in the pump industry for decades, delivering bespoke API and ISO pumps primarily to the offshore and onshore oil & gas industries; nuclear and renewable energy generation; defence; desalination; process and industrial markets.
The company’s innovative approach, business agility and use of sophisticated computer applications enables it to deliver robust, reliable and sustainable pumping solutions on the shortest lead times in the industry.
• Process pumps – API 610, API 685, ISO 5199 horizontal, vertical and in-line bespoke process pumps, including ones that are hydraulically and dimensionally interchangeable with the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps.
• Skid packages and modules – Supplied with a variety of drives for applications including de-sanding, mixing, filtration and chemical injection and tailored for the oil & gas, water treatment and power generation industries.
• Condensate recovery – Cutting-edge design providing low NPSH up to 98°C with variable speed drives to reduce cycle time and lower operating costs, available in stainless steel, galvanised or copper tanks for light or heavy industrial uses.
• Seal support – Integrated pressurised and vented seal support systems designed and delivered to API 682 and ISO 5199 standards and specific site specifications and requirements, working closely with AES, Eagle Burgmann, John Crane and Protect System.
• Spare parts – Critical spares for all Amarinth pumps and related components can be dispatched the same day, reducing potential downtime, and in addition components for the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps can be re-engineered often improving the performance of existing assets.
• Services – A full range of pump related services, delivered from UK head office or on-site globally, onshore or off-shore, including full commissioning and start-up support; also strip, report and refurbishment of any pump regardless of manufacturer.
Amarinth operates globally from its base in Rendlesham Suffolk, United Kingdom and offices in the Middle East and Malaysia with a global customer base, including BP, Shell, ADNOC, NOV, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger, COSCO, EDF, GlaxoSmithKline, Saudi Aramco, Pfizer, Diageo, Kuwait Oil Company, AMEC, Fluor, LUKOIL, Halliburton, and Babcock.
For further information or photos contact
Bentwaters Park, Rendlesham
Woodbridge IP12 2TW
Tel: +44 (0)1394 462131
Mobile: +44 (0)7703 681821
B6 Solutions Limited
29 Swan Drive
The Wharf, Aldermaston
Reading RG7 4UZ
Tel: +44 (0)118 971 3271
Mobile: +44 (0)7880 748380