Amarinth supplies fully interchangeable replacement pumps to Sellafield nuclear fuel reprocessing facility
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 18 June 2018
Amarinth, a leading company specialising in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, chemical, industrial and power markets, has supplied the Sellafield nuclear fuel reprocessing facility with fully interchangeable pumps to replace the 1990s Girdlestone units.
Pumps supplied by Girdlestone were commissioned at the Sellafield site some 25 years ago and so are coming to the end of their natural working life, however direct replacement units are no longer available. For one of the pumps, used to transfer nitric acid in a controlled area of the process control facility, the engineers at Sellafield decided that to maintain operations a replacement was required. However, they needed a solution that did not require any modification to pipework and fittings, and all within 20 weeks.
For over a decade, Amarinth has been providing direct replacement pumps for the now obsolete Girdlestone range along with a range of spares, re-engineered and replacement parts. Sellafield therefore turned to Amarinth for a dimensionally and hydraulically interchangeable pump to replace their existing Girdlestone 912 self-priming pump.
Amarinth was able to provide a bespoke version of one of its existing designs in the timescales required. Although the selected pump was already dimensionally interchangeable, Amarinth redesigned the pump casing and impeller to ensure an exact match to the existing pumps hydraulic performance. The new fully interchangeable pump was designed, manufactured, tested and supplied all within the necessary 20 weeks.
This new interchangeable pump provided by Amarinth will deliver another 25-year working life for Sellafield along with support and supply of spare and replacement parts directly from Amarinth.
Oliver Brigginshaw, Managing Director of Amarinth, commented: “We have been providing support and replacement pumps for the now obsolete Girdlestone units for many industrial uses around the world since Amarinth was founded. We are delighted to be extending that support into the nuclear and power industry and look forward to working with Sellafield and other sites to provide a long-term and cost effective solution as their existing equipment reaches its natural end-of-life.”
View Notes To Editors
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Founded in 2002, Amarinth has harnessed the skills, creativity and passion of people who have worked in the pump industry for many years. Amarinth delivers worldleading expertise in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to ISO, ANSI & API standards, primarily for the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, chemical, industrial and power markets. The company’s portfolio includes:
• Pumps: Horizontal and vertical API 610 pumps, chemical and industrial pumps, many of which are interchangeable with the Girdlestone pump ranges, eliminating the need for expensive modifications when replacements are required.
• Pressure Vessels: Protect System Plan 52 and 53A and 53B sealant systems with inbuilt condition monitoring for pumps and mixers that are suitable for Safe area up to Zone 1.
• Spares & Service: High quality, fast lead-time re-engineered spare parts to improve performance and extend pump life, including many which are directly interchangeable with the Girdlestone pump ranges.
• Packages & Modules: Condensate Recovery Units manufactured for Spirax Sarco incorporating the innovative Ci-Nergy intelligent variable speed control system, plus bespoke packages & skids built to order.
• Business Systems: state-of-the-art e-commerce technologies that deliver 24/7 support enabling customers to select pumps and place orders on-line and then track every stage of manufacture through to delivery, any time, anywhere in the world.
The company operates globally from its base in Rendlesham Suffolk, United Kingdom and has a customer base of world-leading companies, including BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer, Spirax Sarco, Diageo, AMEC, Fluor and Halliburton. For further information, electronic copy or photos contact:
Business Development Director Amarinth Limited
Woodbridge IP12 2TW
Tel: +44 (0)1394 462131
Mobile: +44 (0)7703 681821
B6 Solutions Limited
29 Swan Drive
The Wharf, Aldermaston
Reading RG7 4UZ
Tel: +44 (0)118 971 3790
Mobile: +44 (0)7880 748380