Amarinth provide acoustically enclosed API 610 OH2 pumps for Maersk offshore platform in Qatar
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 24 March 2015
Amarinth provides API 610 pumps with acoustic enclosures to meet offshore platform health and safety regulations
Amarinth, a leading company specialising in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, chemical, industrial and renewable energy markets, has designed and supplied an innovative compact acoustic enclosure for its API 610 OH2 produced water treatment pumps to meet strict health and safety regulations on an offshore platform in Qatar.
When Maersk issued the design standard for a new produced water treatment plant for one its offshore production platforms in Qatar, in order to meet Health and Safety regulations Maersk stipulated a maximum noise level for the pumps of 80db(A). Although Health and Safety regulations differ slightly around the world, a broadly accepted maximum level for continuous exposure to noise over an eight hour working day is 85db(A).
The contract for the produced water treatment plant was placed with Alderley who in turn turned to Amarinth, with whom it has a long established relationship for oil and gas projects, to supply the necessary API 610 OH2 pumps with Plan 53B seal support systems. This placed the responsibility on Amarinth to meet the 80db(A) noise levels for the pumps, and furthermore supply the pumps on a tight 28 week delivery.
Historically, noise levels for produced water treatment plants on offshore platforms have varied depending on where they are sited and who is working near them. Amarinth determined that for the pumps to meet the design standard their noise would have to be reduced. On measuring the noise levels for the motor and wetted-end separately however, Amarinth found that the motor noise was less than 80db(A) but the wetted-end was higher, which took the overall noise levels above the 80db(A) design standard.
The solution from Amarinth was therefore to design a bespoke baseplate placing the pump and motor on the left and the seal support system with its air cooled piping on the right. This enabled Amarinth to design a compact and cost-effective acoustic enclosure for just the wetted end of the pump which would fit within the space constraints of the rig, allow for regular maintenance and reduce the overall noise to the required level.
For ease of maintenance and full 360° access to the pump and motor, the acoustic enclosure was quickly removable without the need to disrupt any pipework. However, it also had to remain in-situ near the pumps when removed as there was nowhere else to move it to on the rig. This required modelling the human elements during the design stage to determine how people could work around the enclosure effectively. A maintenance hatch was also provided in the enclosure for regular access to the oiler.
Oliver Brigginshaw, Managing Director of Amarinth, commented: “For good reasons Health and Safety regulations are becoming ever tighter and reducing noise levels for continuously operating equipment on offshore rigs helps protects workers from exposure to long-term damaging noise levels. All parties are delighted with our acoustic enclosure that both reduces noise to the required level and ensures that regular maintenance can be carried out without any disruption to schedules or additional downtime. I am sure we will see more requirements for innovative designs like this in order to meet tighter regulations in the future and we look forward to working with the oil and gas industry to deliver against these.”
Available for download in PDF format, simply click the button below to download.Download File
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Amarinth is a carbon net zero organisation delivering world-leading expertise in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment for critical applications in many of the most arduous and hostile environments around the globe.
Founded in 2002, Amarinth has harnessed the skills, creativity and passion of people who have worked in the pump industry for decades, delivering bespoke API and ISO pumps primarily to the offshore and onshore oil & gas industries; nuclear and renewable energy generation; defence; desalination; process and industrial markets.
The company’s innovative approach, business agility and use of sophisticated computer applications enables it to deliver robust, reliable and sustainable pumping solutions on the shortest lead times in the industry.
• Process pumps – API 610, API 685, ISO 5199 horizontal, vertical and in-line bespoke process pumps, including ones that are hydraulically and dimensionally interchangeable with the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps.
• Skid packages and modules – Supplied with a variety of drives for applications including de-sanding, mixing, filtration and chemical injection and tailored for the oil & gas, water treatment and power generation industries.
• Condensate recovery – Cutting-edge design providing low NPSH up to 98°C with variable speed drives to reduce cycle time and lower operating costs, available in stainless steel, galvanised or copper tanks for light or heavy industrial uses.
• Seal support – Integrated pressurised and vented seal support systems designed and delivered to API 682 and ISO 5199 standards and specific site specifications and requirements, working closely with AES, Eagle Burgmann, John Crane and Protect System.
• Spare parts – Critical spares for all Amarinth pumps and related components can be dispatched the same day, reducing potential downtime, and in addition components for the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps can be re-engineered often improving the performance of existing assets.
• Services – A full range of pump related services, delivered from UK head office or on-site globally, onshore or off-shore, including full commissioning and start-up support; also strip, report and refurbishment of any pump regardless of manufacturer.
Amarinth operates globally from its base in Rendlesham Suffolk, United Kingdom and offices in the Middle East and Malaysia with a global customer base, including BP, Shell, ADNOC, NOV, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger, COSCO, EDF, GlaxoSmithKline, Saudi Aramco, Pfizer, Diageo, Kuwait Oil Company, AMEC, Fluor, LUKOIL, Halliburton, and Babcock.
For further information or photos contact
Bentwaters Park, Rendlesham
Woodbridge IP12 2TW
Tel: +44 (0)1394 462131
Mobile: +44 (0)7703 681821
B6 Solutions Limited
29 Swan Drive
The Wharf, Aldermaston
Reading RG7 4UZ
Tel: +44 (0)118 971 3271
Mobile: +44 (0)7880 748380