Amarinth delivers state-of-the-art bearing flush monitoring system for ZADCO VS4 pumps
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 30 November 2012
Amarinth sets new standard in ZADCO for API 610 VS4 pumps with new bearing flush monitoring system
Amarinth, a leading company specialising in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to Oil & Gas, petrochemical, chemical and industrial markets has delivered a state-of-the-art bearing flush monitoring system to ZADCO for API 610 VS4 pumps to prevent bearing failure caused by dry running and to reduce Health and Safety risks.
ZADCO was becoming increasingly concerned about reported incidents within the industry of the bearings in API 610 VS4 pumps running dry, which in rare cases had led to catastrophic explosions. To address this issue, ZADCO commissioned Amarinth to review the operations of its existing API 610 VS4 pumps in its Satah plant on Zirku Island, located 140 kilometres north-west of Abu Dhabi, and design a new bearing flush system to prevent the bearings running dry.
The existing pumps were first commissioned in the 1990’s and although designed for sour oil service, these requirements had increased. The existing clean flush tank was only 26 gallons in capacity and installing a larger tank in this offshore location was out of the question. ZADCO were concerned that the tank could become emptied too quickly and the time taken to shut the pumps down could result in the bearings running dry and overheating.
To meet the increased bearing flush requirements, Amarinth designed a bespoke flow detection system with automatic shut-down that ensured the pumps could not be started until flow to the bearings was established and would shut the pump down quickly if the flow ceased.
The monitoring system incorporated:
• A system control panel to constantly monitor the external flush
• A pressure control valve to shut down the pump if flow stops
• A pressure relief valve to ensure the bearings do not receive too much flow pressure
The original pumps also only had a single mechanical seal and so this was replaced by Amarinth with a new Plan 53B seal support systems and double mechanical seals to better contain the hazardous H2S.
Amarinth delivered and commissioned the new bearing flush system to a tight deadline and with minimal disruption to the operating plant. The system has addressed all of ZADCO’s Health and Safety concerns and set a new standard for bearing flush for API 610 VS4 pump bearings. ZADCO is now considering a site-wide adoption of this system and Amarinth has already supplied a similar system to GASCO for four onshore pumps including additional bearing monitoring.
Oliver Brigginshaw, Managing Director of Amarinth, commented: “We have built a strong relationship with ZADCO and this unique challenge came off the back of previous pump orders that we have successfully delivered. We are delighted to have been given the opportunity to design this state-of-the-art system that reliably monitors the bearing flush and prevents the catastrophic results that could occur if the bearings ran dry. This puts ZADCO at the forefront of the oil and gas industry for Health and Safety in this area and we will continue to work with them as they roll out this technology across their operations.”
View Notes To Editors
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Founded in 2002, Amarinth has harnessed the skills, creativity and passion of people who have worked in the pump industry for many years. Amarinth delivers worldleading expertise in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to ISO, ANSI & API standards, primarily for the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, chemical, industrial and power markets. The company’s portfolio includes:
• Pumps: Horizontal and vertical API 610 pumps, chemical and industrial pumps, many of which are interchangeable with the Girdlestone pump ranges, eliminating the need for expensive modifications when replacements are required.
• Pressure Vessels: Protect System Plan 52 and 53A and 53B sealant systems with inbuilt condition monitoring for pumps and mixers that are suitable for Safe area up to Zone 1.
• Spares & Service: High quality, fast lead-time re-engineered spare parts to improve performance and extend pump life, including many which are directly interchangeable with the Girdlestone pump ranges.
• Packages & Modules: Condensate Recovery Units manufactured for Spirax Sarco incorporating the innovative Ci-Nergy intelligent variable speed control system, plus bespoke packages & skids built to order.
• Business Systems: state-of-the-art e-commerce technologies that deliver 24/7 support enabling customers to select pumps and place orders on-line and then track every stage of manufacture through to delivery, any time, anywhere in the world.
The company operates globally from its base in Rendlesham Suffolk, United Kingdom and has a customer base of world-leading companies, including BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer, Spirax Sarco, Diageo, AMEC, Fluor and Halliburton. For further information, electronic copy or photos contact:
Business Development Director Amarinth Limited
Woodbridge IP12 2TW
Tel: +44 (0)1394 462131
Mobile: +44 (0)7703 681821
B6 Solutions Limited
29 Swan Drive
The Wharf, Aldermaston
Reading RG7 4UZ
Tel: +44 (0)118 971 3790
Mobile: +44 (0)7880 748380