Amarinth delivers state-of-the-art bearing flush monitoring system for ZADCO VS4 pumps
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 30 November 2012
Amarinth sets new standard in ZADCO for API 610 VS4 pumps with new bearing flush monitoring system
Amarinth, a leading company specialising in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to Oil & Gas, petrochemical, chemical and industrial markets has delivered a state-of-the-art bearing flush monitoring system to ZADCO for API 610 VS4 pumps to prevent bearing failure caused by dry running and to reduce Health and Safety risks.
ZADCO was becoming increasingly concerned about reported incidents within the industry of the bearings in API 610 VS4 pumps running dry, which in rare cases had led to catastrophic explosions. To address this issue, ZADCO commissioned Amarinth to review the operations of its existing API 610 VS4 pumps in its Satah plant on Zirku Island, located 140 kilometres north-west of Abu Dhabi, and design a new bearing flush system to prevent the bearings running dry.
The existing pumps were first commissioned in the 1990’s and although designed for sour oil service, these requirements had increased. The existing clean flush tank was only 26 gallons in capacity and installing a larger tank in this offshore location was out of the question. ZADCO were concerned that the tank could become emptied too quickly and the time taken to shut the pumps down could result in the bearings running dry and overheating.
To meet the increased bearing flush requirements, Amarinth designed a bespoke flow detection system with automatic shut-down that ensured the pumps could not be started until flow to the bearings was established and would shut the pump down quickly if the flow ceased.
The monitoring system incorporated:
• A system control panel to constantly monitor the external flush
• A pressure control valve to shut down the pump if flow stops
• A pressure relief valve to ensure the bearings do not receive too much flow pressure
The original pumps also only had a single mechanical seal and so this was replaced by Amarinth with a new Plan 53B seal support systems and double mechanical seals to better contain the hazardous H2S.
Amarinth delivered and commissioned the new bearing flush system to a tight deadline and with minimal disruption to the operating plant. The system has addressed all of ZADCO’s Health and Safety concerns and set a new standard for bearing flush for API 610 VS4 pump bearings. ZADCO is now considering a site-wide adoption of this system and Amarinth has already supplied a similar system to GASCO for four onshore pumps including additional bearing monitoring.
Oliver Brigginshaw, Managing Director of Amarinth, commented: “We have built a strong relationship with ZADCO and this unique challenge came off the back of previous pump orders that we have successfully delivered. We are delighted to have been given the opportunity to design this state-of-the-art system that reliably monitors the bearing flush and prevents the catastrophic results that could occur if the bearings ran dry. This puts ZADCO at the forefront of the oil and gas industry for Health and Safety in this area and we will continue to work with them as they roll out this technology across their operations.”
Available for download in PDF format, simply click the button below to download.Download File
View Notes To Editors
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Amarinth is a carbon net zero organisation delivering world-leading expertise in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment for critical applications in many of the most arduous and hostile environments around the globe.
Founded in 2002, Amarinth has harnessed the skills, creativity and passion of people who have worked in the pump industry for decades, delivering bespoke API and ISO pumps primarily to the offshore and onshore oil & gas industries; nuclear and renewable energy generation; defence; desalination; process and industrial markets.
The company’s innovative approach, business agility and use of sophisticated computer applications enables it to deliver robust, reliable and sustainable pumping solutions on the shortest lead times in the industry.
• Process pumps – API 610, API 685, ISO 5199 horizontal, vertical and in-line bespoke process pumps, including ones that are hydraulically and dimensionally interchangeable with the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps.
• Skid packages and modules – Supplied with a variety of drives for applications including de-sanding, mixing, filtration and chemical injection and tailored for the oil & gas, water treatment and power generation industries.
• Condensate recovery – Cutting-edge design providing low NPSH up to 98°C with variable speed drives to reduce cycle time and lower operating costs, available in stainless steel, galvanised or copper tanks for light or heavy industrial uses.
• Seal support – Integrated pressurised and vented seal support systems designed and delivered to API 682 and ISO 5199 standards and specific site specifications and requirements, working closely with AES, Eagle Burgmann, John Crane and Protect System.
• Spare parts – Critical spares for all Amarinth pumps and related components can be dispatched the same day, reducing potential downtime, and in addition components for the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps can be re-engineered often improving the performance of existing assets.
• Services – A full range of pump related services, delivered from UK head office or on-site globally, onshore or off-shore, including full commissioning and start-up support; also strip, report and refurbishment of any pump regardless of manufacturer.
Amarinth operates globally from its base in Rendlesham Suffolk, United Kingdom and offices in the Middle East and Malaysia with a global customer base, including BP, Shell, ADNOC, NOV, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger, COSCO, EDF, GlaxoSmithKline, Saudi Aramco, Pfizer, Diageo, Kuwait Oil Company, AMEC, Fluor, LUKOIL, Halliburton, and Babcock.
For further information or photos contact
Bentwaters Park, Rendlesham
Woodbridge IP12 2TW
Tel: +44 (0)1394 462131
Mobile: +44 (0)7703 681821
B6 Solutions Limited
29 Swan Drive
The Wharf, Aldermaston
Reading RG7 4UZ
Tel: +44 (0)118 971 3271
Mobile: +44 (0)7880 748380