Amarinth delivers innovative vertical pumping solution for Kumul Platform
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 16 Mar 2012
Amarinth delivers innovative vertical pumping solution for Kumul Platform PNG
Amarinth, a leading company specialising in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment to the industrial, chemical and petrochemical industries has delivered an innovative open drain pumping solution to be installed in the caisson of the Kumul Oil Platform located 40km off the southern coast of Papua New Guinea.
The bespoke API 610 VS4 vertical sump pump will be installed in a caisson (leg) as part of a $25 million “Topsides” rejuvenation project of the Kumul Platform located in the Gulf of Papua. Any water or oil that drains from the platforms structure or from its production systems is channelled into the open drain caisson to prevent any environmental impact on the sea around the rig.
The duty is to pump hydrocarbons and excess water that collects in the caisson to the closed drain accumulator for safe disposal via a “take-off” tanker. This required a 13m long vertical sump pump with an arrangement for low pressure injection of hypochlorite used to prevent the build-up of marine growth. Additionally, due to the angle of the caisson, the pump had to be installed and operate at a 5 degree angle.
Amarinth was approached to deliver a cost effective solution for this difficult engineering requirement. An API 610 VS4 sump pump was selected for the duty but to overcome the height restrictions of the platform Amarinth designed this as a modular pump that could be dismantled and installed in four sections.
The 5 degree angle of the caisson also presented further challenges for the installation as the pump had to be carefully lined up with the caisson wall. Working closely with the customer, Amarinth designed an innovative adjustable roller system on the pump that aligned with guide plates attached down the inner wall of the caisson as the pump was lowered in.
The bearings and seals were also put under additional pressure due to the 5 degree angle and so to guarantee the performance and reliability of the pump Amarinth built a test rig to replicate the operating conditions and mounting system to ensure that the final design took account of the additional stresses and vibrations as a result of the alignment.
Oliver Brigginshaw, Managing Director of Amarinth, commented: “We are delighted that we were able to deliver a solution for this unique requirement from the other side of the globe. Using a combination of our proven API 610 VS4 pumps, the work we have done previously with modular designs for restricted headroom, and the ingenuity of our engineers, we were able to provide a very cost effective solution that met the requirements and tight timescales of this project.”
Available for download in PDF format, simply click the button below to download.Download File
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Amarinth is a carbon net zero organisation delivering world-leading expertise in the design, application and manufacture of centrifugal pumps and associated equipment for critical applications in many of the most arduous and hostile environments around the globe.
Founded in 2002, Amarinth has harnessed the skills, creativity and passion of people who have worked in the pump industry for decades, delivering bespoke API and ISO pumps primarily to the offshore and onshore oil & gas industries; nuclear and renewable energy generation; defence; desalination; process and industrial markets.
The company’s innovative approach, business agility and use of sophisticated computer applications enables it to deliver robust, reliable and sustainable pumping solutions on the shortest lead times in the industry.
• Process pumps – API 610, API 685, ISO 5199 horizontal, vertical and in-line bespoke process pumps, including ones that are hydraulically and dimensionally interchangeable with the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps.
• Skid packages and modules – Supplied with a variety of drives for applications including de-sanding, mixing, filtration and chemical injection and tailored for the oil & gas, water treatment and power generation industries.
• Condensate recovery – Cutting-edge design providing low NPSH up to 98°C with variable speed drives to reduce cycle time and lower operating costs, available in stainless steel, galvanised or copper tanks for light or heavy industrial uses.
• Seal support – Integrated pressurised and vented seal support systems designed and delivered to API 682 and ISO 5199 standards and specific site specifications and requirements, working closely with AES, Eagle Burgmann, John Crane and Protect System.
• Spare parts – Critical spares for all Amarinth pumps and related components can be dispatched the same day, reducing potential downtime, and in addition components for the former Girdlestone and other obsolete pumps can be re-engineered often improving the performance of existing assets.
• Services – A full range of pump related services, delivered from UK head office or on-site globally, onshore or off-shore, including full commissioning and start-up support; also strip, report and refurbishment of any pump regardless of manufacturer.
Amarinth operates globally from its base in Rendlesham Suffolk, United Kingdom and offices in the Middle East and Malaysia with a global customer base, including BP, Shell, ADNOC, NOV, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger, COSCO, EDF, GlaxoSmithKline, Saudi Aramco, Pfizer, Diageo, Kuwait Oil Company, AMEC, Fluor, LUKOIL, Halliburton, and Babcock.
For further information or photos contact
Bentwaters Park, Rendlesham
Woodbridge IP12 2TW
Tel: +44 (0)1394 462131
Mobile: +44 (0)7703 681821
B6 Solutions Limited
29 Swan Drive
The Wharf, Aldermaston
Reading RG7 4UZ
Tel: +44 (0)118 971 3271
Mobile: +44 (0)7880 748380